Alaska has not enacted a separate State law that is substantially different from the FDCPA. The only specifications apply to debt collectors and collection licensing. Nevertheless, the residents of Alaska are well protected under the federal law.
To learn more about the FDPCA, go to Federal Debt Collection Practices Act
The Alaska Fair Debt Collections Practices Act
3 AAC 01.210. Communications in debt collection
Article 3. Prohibited Practices and Sanctions
Section 210. Communications in debt collection.
(a) A creditor may not communicate with a debtor regarding the collection of a debt without the prior written consent of the debtor or pursuant to an order by a court of competent jurisdiction
(1) after written notification from an attorney representing the debtor that all further communications regarding the loan must be addressed to the attorney, unless the attorney fails to respond within a reasonable time to the creditor’s inquiries regarding the debt or the attorney consents to direct communication with the debtor;
(2) at the debtor’s place of employment unless the debtor’s employer permits employees to receive those communications during working hours.
(b) Any creditor communicating with any person for the purpose of acquiring information regarding the whereabouts of the debtor, e.g., the debtor’s residence, telephone number, or place of employment, may not in any way use a form of communication or otherwise indicate that the debtor owes any debt.
(c) A creditor who has assigned an alleged debt to a credit reporting agency shall, upon receipt of a written notice from the debtor that any part of the alleged debt is disputed, forward a copy of the written notice to the credit reporting agency.
(d) A creditor may not;
(1) take or threaten to take any nonjudicial action to effect dispossession or disablement of property if
(A) there is no present right to possession of the property through an enforceable security interest;
(B) in the case of a threat, there is no present intention to effect dispossession or disablement of the property;
(C) the property is exempted by law from dispossession or disablement;
(2) threaten to take any action which, if taken, would violate any law;
(3) obtain a signed confession of judgment, when permitted to do so by Alaska law, by deception or coercion or on a document which is not clearly labeled “Confession of Judgment.”
3 AAC 01.220. False or misleading representations
A creditor may not use any false, deceptive or misleading representation or means in connection with the collection of any debt, including but not limited to the
(1) any false representation;
(A) that the lender is vouched for, bonded by, or affiliated with the United States or any state;
(B) of the character, amount or legal status of any debt;
(C) of any services rendered or compensation due the creditor for the collection of any debt;
(D) that documents are not legal process forms or do not require action by the debtor;
(2) Communicating or threatening to communicate to any person credit information which is known to be
false or, if a debt is disputed, failing to communicate that fact when giving credit information.
000-017 000-080 000-089 000-104 000-105 000-106 070-461 100-101 100-105 , 100-105 , 101 101-400 102-400 1V0-601 1Y0-201 1Z0-051 1Z0-060 1Z0-061 1Z0-144 1z0-434 1Z0-803 1Z0-804 1z0-808 200-101 200-120 200-125 , 200-125 , 200-310 200-355 210-060 210-065 210-260 220-801 220-802 220-901 220-902 2V0-620 2V0-621 2V0-621D 300-070 300-075 300-101 300-115 300-135 3002 300-206 300-208 300-209 300-320 350-001 350-018 350-029 350-030 350-050 350-060 350-080 352-001 400-051 400-101 400-201 500-260 640-692 640-911 640-916 642-732 642-999 700-501 70-177 70-178 70-243 70-246 70-270 70-346 70-347 70-410 70-411 70-412 70-413 70-417 70-461 70-462 70-463 70-480 70-483 70-486 70-487 70-488 70-532 70-533 70-534 70-980 74-678 810-403 9A0-385 9L0-012 9L0-066 ADM-201 AWS-SYSOPS C_TFIN52_66 c2010-652 c2010-657 CAP CAS-002 CCA-500 CISM CISSP CRISC EX200 EX300 HP0-S42 ICBB ICGB ITILFND JK0-022 JN0-102 JN0-360 LX0-103 LX0-104 M70-101 MB2-704 MB2-707 MB5-705 MB6-703 N10-006 NS0-157 NSE4 OG0-091 OG0-093 PEGACPBA71V1 PMP PR000041 SSCP SY0-401 VCP550 70-487 SY0-401 70-486 220-801 300-075 c2010-652 000-080 210-065 350-030 JN0-360 74-678 LX0-104 300-070 70-410 350-050 PMP 70-483 JN0-360 200-355 200-125 , 210-060 100-101 70-412 VCP550 LX0-104 000-017 70-461 700-501 70-347 EX200 SSCP 200-120 VCP550 NS0-157 400-201 N10-006 000-080 000-080